Dr. Baker is a member of the International Society of Appraisers and as such must adhere to the most rigorous standards in the appraisal community. The International Society of Appraisers (ISA) trains appraisers with the most comprehensive personal property appraisal education program in America. As an ISA educated appraiser Dr. Baker is well equipped to give an accurate and complete appraisal that will stand up in court, if necessary. Dr. Baker’s experience is gained with twenty five years in the appraisal industry and extensive and broad exposure to a wide variety of business and appraisal situations including determining value in cases of divorce, collateral assessment for banks, insurance for asset protection, casualty loss cases, estate settlements, estate probates, business liquidation or advice on point of sale purchases such as estate sales, or auction sales. His client list is extensive and includes a famous Marine Corp Colonel, celebrities such as Laura Branigan and Michael Jackson, corporations such as TDK, and thousands of others.
As an ISA member he was required to pass core courses on appraisal principles, ethics, and report writing before earning a designation.
What makes a good appraiser?
- Has formal education in appraisal theory principles, procedures, ethics, and law
- Has professional credentials based on testing and successful course completion
- Is an expert on your type of property
- Takes continuing education courses to stay up to date on the latest appraisal standards
- Adheres to a professional code of ethics
What makes a good appraisal report?
- A cover document explaining in detail what type of value is being sought and the intended use of the appraisal
- The methodology and resources relied upon, including market analysis and market(s) selected
- A complete and accurate description of the property written in such a manner that it can be identified without photos
- The date(s) and location of inspection, and the effective date of value
- A statement by the appraiser that he or she has no interest in the property or that such interest is disclosed in the report
- The appraiser’s qualifications and signature
In addition to his membership in the ISA Baker also holds the designation of MPPA or Master Personal Property Appraiser from the National Auctioneers Association. As is the case with ISA in order to achieve this designation a comprehensive educational program teaches the appraiser not only the special techniques used to examine items of personal property, but also the law as it pertains to appraisals, and proper terms to use in order to fully describe an item being valued.
When an educated guess isn’t good enough! Whenever there’s a question about the value of your personal property there is also a risk involved. It may be the risk of selling too low or of paying too much; the risk of being under or over insured; the risk of not getting your fair share in the division of the property; the risk of incurring tax penalties or being audited.
A professional appraiser helps you manage these and other such risks by providing a written opinion of value upon which you can base your financial decisions. The ISA provides the most skilled Personal Property Appraiser for your needs. The qualified professional appraisers of ISA have the expertise in all types of appraisals including antiques, jewelry, coins, art, furniture, automobiles, or the entire estate. Make no mistake, unless the appraiser states that he or she is a member in good standing in the ISA or holds a designation such as the MPPA from the National Auctioneers Association then run don’t walk away from that individual.
The fees charged for these professional services are on either on an hourly basis or an agreed to flat rate. The fee is never contingent upon a percentage of the value determined by the appraiser.
For further information concerned with appraisals please email Dr. Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the gallery at (631) 803 – 6706.